London (UK), November 22: Tottenham moved to the top of the Premier League (for 24 hours at least) on Saturday after a typical Jose Mourinho "smash and grab" performance saw them beat Pep Guardiola's Manchester City 2-0.
Guardiola's side had 67 percent of the ball and 22 shots to Spurs' 33 percent and four shots, but two of those four efforts from Mourinho's men hit the back of the net.
Son Heung Min opened the scoring in the fifth minute after a pass from Tanguy Ndombele allowed him to get behind the visitors' defense. Giovani Lo Celsa doubled the lead in the 65th minute less than a minute after coming on as a substitute.
Gabriel Jesus had what would have been an equalizing goal ruled out for handball when it was 1-0.
There was controversy as Manchester United claimed its first home league win of the season thanks to a twice-taken Bruno Fernandes penalty that gave it a 1-0 win over West Brom.
The visitors thought they had a penalty in the 46th minute after Grant was brought down, but the VAR inexplicably overturned the decision and five minutes later United were given a penalty after Juan Mata's cross hit Furlong's arm, which was close to the defender's body.
Sam Johnson made an excellent save, but the referee ordered the spot-kick to be retaken after the VAR judged the keeper had moved a foot off his line. Fernandes smacked his second effort into the roof of the net.
Earlier in the day, Chelsea went top of the table for a short while, thanks to a routine 2-0 win away to Newcastle United.
Fede Fernandez opened the scoring when he bundled a cross into his own net after 10 minutes and Tammy Abraham wrapped up the win following an assist from Timo Werner in the 65th minute.
Brighton stunned Aston Villa with a 2-1 win at Villa Park, with a 10th minute goal from Danny Welbeck and Solly March, who produced a curling finish, minutes after Ezri Konsa's driving finish following a free kick.
There was late drama as Tariq Lamptey was sent off for a foul on Villa's Jack Grealish and the home side thought they had a penalty after March appeared to catch Trezequet only for referee Michael Oliver to rule it out after consulting with the VAR.
Source: Xinhua